The FusionReactor licensing model is designed to run in dynamic environments such as Docker, AWS, Kubernetes and many other platforms.
How licensing works
This ensures that if you are running cloud, you are not billed for instances when they are not online and with on-premise editions, the server seats of your license can switch between instances seamlessly as instances are marked as inactive.
- As long as an instance contacts licensing every 60 seconds, it will remain active and consume a server seat.
- If instances are turned off or containers are shutdown, within 90 seconds the instances will be marked as inactive and the server seat is freed
- Any new containers / deployed instances will then automatically take over the server seat
If you have a blue-green deploy or temporary over usage, you may see for a short time that some instances are unable to activate, but as the old containers shut down and the seats become free they will activate automatically.
- As long as an instance contacts licensing and sends data every 60 seconds, it will remain active and be a billable instance
- If instances are turned off or containers are shutdown, within 90 seconds the instances will be marked as inactive and no longer be billable
With the cloud, as long as the instance can connect to the licensing server, it will always be active as there is no concept of license seats, once the instances are marked as inactive they are no longer billable and will not consume reservations or on-demand time.